Monday, July 21, 2014

The Green-Eyed Monster - July 21 Readings: 2 Chronicles 5-6, Acts 17, Psalm 85:9–13, Proverbs 18:4–5

Links to July 21 Readings: 2 Chronicles 5-6, Acts 17, Psalm 85:9–13, Proverbs 18:4–5

The Green-Eyed Monster! That description comes from Shakespeare's "Othello" in which the villain Iago says:

O, beware, my lord, of jealousy;  It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock  The meat it feeds on; 
Jealousy is a work of the flesh, a true monster within our souls that feeds on our own hearts and brings destruction into lives, relationships and churches.

Jealousy was at the root of much of the opposition to Jesus and to the expansion of the early church. The religious leaders did not so much object to their teachings, their character or their actions. They opposed Jesus because their position was threatened. Acts 17:5 says,
But the Jews became jealous...
They were upset because people were no longer honoring them, following them or living under their authority and control. Instead, they were putting their faith in Jesus and proclaiming him as Lord. Suddenly, the green-eyed monster reared its ugly head amongst these religious leaders.

Jealousy is a product of our sinful nature and is a marker of selfishness. If I walk in Christ's love and servant spirit, I rejoice with other's blessings, I seek for people to follow Christ, not me, and I live for his glory, not my own. If these things are true, there is no place for jealousy in my life.

Father, rid my soul of the green-eyed monster that envies other's blessings, that seeks control over others and gathers glory for myself instead of for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment