Monday, July 28, 2014

Faithful God - July 28 Readings: 2 Chronicles 19-20, Acts 21:17–36, Psalm 89:1–6, Proverbs 18:21–24

Links to July 28 Readings: 2 Chronicles 19-20, Acts 21:17–36, Psalm 89:1–6, Proverbs 18:21–24

If one phrase could summarize the dealings of God with Israel in the Old Testament, it would be, "God is faithful to unfaithful Israel." Time and again Israel turned from God to chase after idols and embrace sin, but every time they did God sought them out in grace and brought them back to himself. God was faithful.

In Psalm 86:1-2, Ethan the Ezrahite extolled that faithfulness.

I will sing about the Lord’s faithful love forever;
I will proclaim Your faithfulness to all generations with my mouth.
For I will declare,
“Faithful love is built up forever;
You establish Your faithfulness in the heavens.”
It is because of God's faithfulness that we are both saved and sustained. In my 50+ years as a Christian, I've given Israel a run for their money in terms of waywardness. But as with God's chosen people, this man has experienced the faithfulness of God's love. When I was ready to give up on myself, when I have despaired, God has worked to renew me and restore me. 

God's faithfulness must never be an excuse for our sin or carelessness, but it is a great comfort that God's faithfulness is greater than our sin. 

Father, every day and in every situation in life, you are faithful. Thank you for your constant love and grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment