Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Sticks and Stones - May 27 Readings: 2 Samuel 1-2, John 7:1–24, Psalm 68:8–14, Proverbs 13:20–22

Links to May 27 Readings: 2 Samuel 1-2, John 7:1–24, Psalm 68:8–14, Proverbs 13:20–22

'Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

Is there less truth in any of the bromides we learned as children. I've been hurt by sticks and stones (generally from horsing around - I do very little ninja fighting!) and they leave a few bruises and a scar or two. The pain goes away and is forgotten.

But when people say insulting, degrading things to me it hurts far more than any physical injury I've had. If I allow myself to, I can think back to words people said to me many years ago and I can still experience pain from the memory. Words have a powerful impact on us.

One of the most devastating results of these hurtful words is discouragement. We are trying to do God's work and someone drops a verbal bomb on us. It feels like the shrapnel strikes us deep in our hearts and churns us up inside - troubled days and sleepless nights ensue. And the tendency is to want to give up, to wilt under the criticism and simply seek to quit.

When we are tempted to quit because of criticism or hurtful words, all we need do is read the gospels. Jesus, the sinless Son of God was unfairly criticized and slandered time and again. If the perfect Christ received such criticism how can imperfect folks like us hope to escape it?

In John 7 Jesus was at a feast in Jerusalem and he began to confront the religious leaders over their sin. Jesus saw through to their hearts and accused them of wanting to kill him. They denied it and in the process, they said this, in verse 20.
"You have a demon." 
That's pretty harsh, isn't it? They denied that Jesus was a servant of the Father in heaven and accused him of being under the control of the Evil one. It was absurd, of course, but it was the kind of criticism that hurts and discourages us.

Jesus did not allow himself or his ministry to be derailed. He continued to serve the Father in spite of what anyone said about him. He cared only for the approval and pleasure of the Living God of heaven. We must do the same.

Father, too often I live for man's approval and under slavery to man's opinions of me. Help me to serve you with all my heart and live for your glory alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment