Monday, May 5, 2014

Our Near Redemption - May 5 Readings: Judges 16, Luke 21:25–38, Psalm 56:9–13, Proverbs 11:24–25

Links to May 5 Readings: Judges 16, Luke 21:25–38, Psalm 56:9–13, Proverbs 11:24–25

Like many today, people in Jesus' day wanted to know when the end was going to come and how to know that those days were nearing. What kind of signs would serve as markers of the end? Jesus' answers were not wholly satisfactory, I am sure. He told them that they would never really know when the end was near, that Jesus would return "as a thief in the night - without warning - and that their job was to be continually prepared for whenever Jesus returned.

It is easy (and dangerous) to become morbidly fascinated with the details of the end times that we miss the greatest message of all. Jesus reminded his disciples of the message in Luke 21:27-28.
Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. But when these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is near!

I cannot tell you whether Jesus will come back in my lifetime. I just don't know and Jesus said that was the way the Father wanted it. But I do know two things. First, I know that Jesus is coming back one day. He is not gone forever. He will descend from heaven with "power and great glory."

I also know that Jesus intended his second coming to be a source of comfort to us - not just curiosity or debate. We live in a sinful world in which wickedness is increasing and often seems to prevail. But we can rest assured that the enemy's days are numbered and one day this world will give glory where glory is due.

In that day, all the promises of God will be fulfilled. Our sin will be done away with and Jesus will be Lord of all. Lift up your head, believer, our redemption is near. Our Redeemer is near. You can trust him and rely on him. He will stand in victory over this earth.

In the midst of difficult days, we have the assurance of the final victory of Jesus Christ!

Father, I rejoice in your victory over sin in my life and in this world. I long to see that day. Comfort me with that hope today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment