Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Normal Christian Life - April 19 Readings: Joshua 11-12, Luke 12:35–59, Psalm 49:11–20, Proverbs 10:16–17

Links to April 19 Readings: Joshua 11-12, Luke 12:35–59, Psalm 49:11–20, Proverbs 10:16–17

Joshua 11 and 12 list a pretty impressive assortment of victories by the people of Israel over the Canaanites and other pagan nations. King after king, nation after nation fell before the power of God working through the people of God. They were, at this moment, walking in obedience and experiencing the blessing of God regularly. 

Israel, walking in obedience, found victory over its enemies to be normal; an everyday occurrence. What needed to be conquered was conquered. When foes attacked, they were thwarted. Winning battles against their enemies was the normal pattern of life for obedient Israel. 


I've grown used to something different. Failure is all too normal for me; being defeated by temptation, by the power of the flesh. I'm used to my foes having the upper hand over me. 

But it was not just in the Old Testament era that God intended for his people to overcome their enemies. Romans 6 tells us that we have been freed from slavery to sin and ought to walk in righteousness regularly. Romans 8 tells us that we are more than conquerors over whatever this sinful world throws at us. 

When I am walking in faith and obedience, the forces of darkness may attack, but not prevail. I will be subject to hardship, suffering, opposition and all sorts of things, but ought not fail in the tasks God had set before me or fall before my enemies. We can expect the power of God to be revealed in us as we walk in obedience. That is the normal Christian life. 

Father, may I never make peace with the failure of my flesh, but continue to depend on you to defeat my foes and empower my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment