Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Importance of Repentance - March 25 Readings: Deuteronomy 5, Luke 1:57–80, Psalm 38:1–8, Proverbs 8:7–9

Links to March 25 Readings:  Deuteronomy 5, Luke1:57–80, Psalm 38:1–8, Proverbs 8:7–9

Unfortunately, not only was King David the greatest of Israel's kings, but he was also a famous sinner. Bathsheba. Uriah. We all know those names. Counting the fighting men - another sin that had terrible consequences. Even as a man after God's own heart, he sinned and he sinned big. But while he committed public sins that caused great damage, there is one more thing that the Bible makes clear about him. He may have been the greatest repenter of all time. We all know Psalm 51, his passionate plea for forgiveness after his sin with Bathsheba. But Psalm 38 is another example of the depths of his repentance.

When David repented, there was no justification or rationalization. He didn’t say, “I was wrong, but so was he.” He did not argue that his sins were not so bad in the grand scheme of things. He just got on his face before God, admitted the wickedness of his deeds and called out for cleansing.

In verses 3 and 4, he admits that his sins weigh heavy on his heart. 
There is no health in my body because of Your indignation; there is no strength in my bones because of my sin.
He recognizes the devastating consequences of sin. As a wise man once said, “Sin takes you farther than you want to go. Sin holds you longer than you want to stay. Sin costs you more than you want to pay.” Whatever the sin was, I’m sure it looked attractive, fun, appealing. But now, the full weight of guilt and suffering was coming down on him and he did not like it one bit.

But David did not justify or blame or compare or hide or any of that. He stood before God and he repented. He admitted his sin, rejected it and turned to God for healing. 

We often think of Christian success as avoiding sin, and certainly each of us ought to stand in the Spirit's power to resist temptation and say no to sin. But in this world, sin is a reality in the lives of each of us, even committed believers. The key is not to pretend we do not sin, but to face it, repent of it, turn from it and hate it as God does. 

David did that. So must we.  

But there is very good news. Though our reading for today does not get there, later in Psalm 38 David expresses his confidence in God’s forgiveness and restoration. God will take away the stain of sin from us and strengthen us to walk in power and victory. Our God is mercy, gracious and good to repentant sinners. 

Thank God.


Lord God, I stand before you now and remove all my artifice and pretension. I have sinned against you daily, indulging myself when I should have walked in the fullness of the Spirit. I feel the bitter fruit of that sin every day. But like my namesake, the king, I want to be a man of repentance. I confess my sin to you and ask you to help me to overcome by the power that dwells in me. Thank you for the Blood that made forgiveness possible and the Spirit who empowers renewal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment