Thursday, March 20, 2014

DON'T Follow Your Heart - March 20 Readings: Numbers 31, Mark 15:21–47, Psalm 37:8–14, Proverbs 7:22–23

Links to March 20 Readings: Numbers 31, Mark 15:21–47, Psalm 37:8–14, Proverbs 7:22–23

One of the things I've realized three months into the 2014 Bible Reading Challenge is that I need to completely redo the Proverbs readings. The ones we've been using, made randomly by my Bible software are choppy and hard to follow. I have focused on the Proverbs reading seldom, for that very reason. 

But there is a word in today's reading that caught my eye. Proverbs is all about making sound, wise choices in life, about being careful about the path you walk. In Proverbs 7 we encounter a young man who is the antithesis of careful. We spoke of him a few days ago - the wrong kind of young man with the wrong kind of friends in the wrong place at the wrong time. The chapter details how he wanders aimlessly down the path of folly until he finds his life utterly destroyed by sin. 

Verses 22-23 encapsulate his problem in a nutshell. 
He follows her impulsively
like an ox going to the slaughter,
like a deer bounding toward a trap
until an arrow pierces its liver,
like a bird darting into a snare—
he doesn’t know it will cost him his life.

He is enticed and seduced by this woman, to his own detriment. Why? The key is in verse 22. "Impulsively." He follows his instincts, his emotions, his passions, yes, his heart. He did not follow God's Word, the Law, or do what is right. He was impulsive. He did what he felt like doing. 

The mantra of the world is "follow your heart." "Do what feels right to you." But the teaching of the Word is to follow God and not our own impulses. My heart is deceitful and following it will consistently shipwreck my life. 

Specifically, in the area of sexual desire, following our hearts can be devastating and destructive. We are commanded to live in obedience to God and to keep our bodies under control, not to simply live out our fleshly and base desires. To give in to sexual impulses will never bring a blessing. 

Father, I thank you that I have your Holy Spirit who can empower me to say no to my desires and yes to you. I can have self-control because of the Spirit's work in my heart. Grant me that, O Lord. May I never live by the impulses of my heart but by the direction of your Word. 





No comments:

Post a Comment