Friday, January 10, 2014

January 10 Readings: Gen 23–24, Matthew 8:1–17, Psalms 7:4–10, Proverbs 1:24–25


"This nation is a mess. We have to do something about it."
"What he did was terrible. You can't let him get away with it."

We live in a world of sin, where sinful people do terrible things and sometimes get away with it. Our beloved nation has thrown over any loyalty it ever felt to the will and ways of God and has embraced a subjective morality - each of us decides for ourselves what is right and wrong. And a lot of people want to do some very bad things! And people get hurt.

So, what are we to do about it? Something inside of us wants to right all the wrongs, settle all the scores and put things back the way they are supposed to be. And that is not completely wrong. As men and women of God, we ought to be his tools in restoring justice and bringing all things under obedience to Christ.

But Psalms 7 reminds us of something important. Ultimately, it is not my job to restore the world to its rightful place. There is a God in heaven, a just and righteous God, one to whom we can look when things go wrong.

David was a man who was often wronged and viciously attacked, by enemies, by former friends, even by family. He spent much of his life in mortal danger because people wanted to kill him. But when they "tear me like a lion, ripping me apart," David knew exactly what to do. He poured out his heart and soul to God, and looked to him for salvation, for rescue.

He knew something very important, which he asserted in Psalm 7:6-8.
Rise up, Lord, in Your anger; lift Yourself up against the fury of my adversaries; awake for me; You have ordained a judgment. Let the assembly of peoples gather around You; take Your seat on high over it. The Lord judges the peoples; vindicate me, Lord, according to my righteousness and my integrity.
God is the friend of the oppressed and harassed. He is the one who judges and establishes justice on this earth. David did not try to avenge himself against his enemies or punish those who attacked him. Instead, he called out to the God of perfect justice to protect and sustain him. 

You may face some real challenges in your life. Times can be hard. People may be cruel. Circumstances can go awry. Suffering may come. But God is both powerful and faithful. Turn to him. Call out to him. He will lift you up and sustain you. 

Lord, thank you that whatever happens to me, you are my rock and my fortress, the one who delivers and sustains me. Let me not seek to be the avenger of justice, but to trust you as God over all. You are powerful. You are just. You are good. I trust in you!

No comments:

Post a Comment